The cottages on the east and west sides of Hotel Del Monte were built after the 1924 fire destroyed the main building. They were available as private luxury accomodations as construction teams built the Spanish Revival Del Monte. Today, the cottages on the west are used as offices while those on the east are for senior NPS leaders.
Hotel manager Carl Stanley and his family lived in Cottage #9. Today it is called the Stanley House in their honor.
The cottages were surrounded by a forest mix of native oak and cypress trees along with exotics species from around the world.
The stately Roman Plunge solarium is visible in the background in this 1920's colorized postcard of a cottage.
This charcoal sketch of Cottage No. 9 (the Stanley House) was drawn by an enlisted sailor in 1944.