According to the Oxford English Dictionary:
1. The authority and influence of law in society, esp. when viewed as a constraint on individual and institutional behaviour; (hence) the principle whereby all members of a society (including those in government) are considered equally subject to publicly disclosed legal codes and processes.
2. A valid legal proposition; a law.
What You Will Find In This Guide
The purpose of this guide is to introduce you to some of the many great sources available to you while completely the Civil Military Operations and Rule of Law program. Use the Tabs to navigate to the types of information you are looking for. The Dudley Knox Library provides access to many highly useful databases, indexing tools and scholarly journals and much, much more.
Be sure to use our focused Subject Guides for more specific listing of resources. Some specific ones that might be of interest include:
- Asian Resources
- Defense Budget Information
- Conflict, Peacekeeping and Reconstruction
- Congressional Information
- Latin American Resources
- Middle East Resources
- National Security Affairs
Remember to try some of these terms to help focus your search:
"civil affairs" "capacity building"
"civil military operations" "Supremacy of the law"
"rule of law" "culture of lawfulness"
"international regimes" "humanitarian intervention"
"civil society" "mass atrocities"
"legality of war" "human security"
"jus ad bellum" "human rights"