When you install Zotero, it also adds a Zotero tab to your Word application. See our Download and Install instructions.
The plugin allows you to:
If you don't see the Zotero tab, try these Troubleshooting Tips. (Does not work with Office 365.)
Select a Citation Style
Add a citation
If you prefer to see a list to select from, use the pulldown arrow and select Classic View.
To permanently switch to the Classic View:
Go to Zotero desktop > Preferences > Cite tab > Word Processors tab > select "Use classic Add Citation dialog"
You can view available citation styles, add more, preview the style output, and edit installed styles.
1. Make sure Zotero desktop is open
2. Go to the Zotero tab in Word
3. Click on Document Preferences to see a list of the installed citation styles
4. Click on the one you want to use, then click OK
5. If you don't see the one you want, click on Manage Styles > Get additional styles
6. Search for and click on the style you want to use. Now it will be available in your Style Manager.
For short papers, Quick Copy is the easiest way to go. You can use this technique with Word, Google Docs, email, or blog posts.
Add In-Text Citations:
1. Set your Quick Copy Export Preferences. You can do the following:
2. Hold down the shift key while dragging a reference from Zotero's middle pane into Word.
This step is only necessary before submitting your thesis or manuscript for Final Review -- not for class papers.
Once you break the coding connection between Word and Zotero, it is irreversible, and you won't be able to make synced edits to your citations.